Let's Stay Connected!
Time to get cooking!
As most of us are currently confined to our homes for the bulk of the day we thought it would be nice to share some tasty recipes with ingredients that are easy to find and most of which we probably have in our store cupboards, give or take a few that can easily be left out or exchanged for something else. So, it’s time to get busy in the kitchen and for those of you that have children at home it’s a great chance to get them involved in the cooking process with these two great dinner ideas from Donal’s Superfood in Minutes book by Donal Skehan!
Honey Garlic Chicken
Cook’s Notes: The classic combo of sticky garlicky chicken with an Asian twist.
Equipment: Large sauté pan with lid
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 200g (7oz) broccoli, broken into florets
- 250g (9oz) sugar snap peas
- bunch of spring onions, sliced into 2cm (¾in) pieces
- handful of coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan, season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the pan skin-side down. Fry for 6–8 minutes until really golden.
- Flip the chicken over and add the garlic, honey, vinegar and soy sauce and bubble for 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, sugar snaps and spring onions and cook, stirring to combine, for 6–8 minutes more until the chicken is cooked through. Serve sprinkled with coriander leaves and sesame seeds.
One Pan Vegetable Lasagne
Cook’s Notes: This is a fab veggie version of that comfort food favourite lasagne – just without all the pots and pans to wash up!
Equipment: Ovenproof sauté pan
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 courgettes, chopped
- 250g (9oz) cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 x 400g (14oz) tin chopped tomatoes
- 200g (7oz) baby spinach
- 400g (14oz) fresh pasta sheets, sliced into strips
- handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
- 80g (3oz) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 x 125g (4oz) mozzarella balls, sliced
- Heat the oil in a deep, ovenproof sauté pan. Add the onions and fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes until softened, then add the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Add the courgettes and mushrooms, increase the heat and fry for about 5 minutes until they are lightly browned. Add the chopped tomatoes and 400ml (1¾ cups) boiling water and season well with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes over a medium heat.
- Preheat the grill to high. Stir the spinach and pasta strips into the pan and, once the spinach has wilted, stir in the basil and two-thirds of the Parmesan and half the mozzarella. Scatter the rest of the cheese over the top and put under the grill for 3–5 minutes until bubbling and oozingly melty.